Know Before You Go
- Please arrive on time, dressed in swim clothes, freshly showered, and ready to swim.
- All private lesson participants and their accompanying parent/guardian (if a youth member) must check-in at the Welcome Center check-in area. Upon entry, you will be asked to review and verbally respond to our COVID-19 symptom assessment. Anyone exhibiting COVID-19 symptoms will be asked to stay home.
- Aquatics staff will admit participants from the locker rooms onto the pool deck at the appropriate time and direct you to your instructor.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Are private swim lessons just for kids?
No, private lessons are available to all YMCA members ages 5 and up.
- What are your safety protocols are in place for private swimming lessons?
There is nothing more important to us than the safety of you, our members, our staff, and our volunteers. Guidance from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), local health agencies, and public officials has been critical as we've updated our policies and planned for your return.
Swim Instructors will be wearing face masks throughout the duration of swim lessons. Lifeguards will be wearing face masks at all times. Staff will also be disinfecting all touch points and equipment before every lesson. Staff are put through a health screen before each shift using state and local guidance.
- Is it safe for people to swim in shared water?
Per the CDC, the virus cannot be transmitted through properly treated water. Our pool chemicals are always maintained within the required ranges set by the health department. Should our water ever go outside of that range, we do close down the pool until the water is safe to swim in again.
- Do I or my child need to wear a mask while in the water?
No, we are not allowing swim participants to wear masks in the water as it presents a safety hazard.
- How long are private swim lessons?
Private swim lessons are 25 minutes long.
- Do I need to be a Y member to sign up for private swim lessons?
Yes, at this time, private swim lessons are only available to Y members.
- Is there a limit to how many lessons an individual can schedule?
At this time, we are restricting members to 4 private lessons per 4 week session.
- Can locker rooms or showers be used for swim lesson participants?
Swimmers will have full access to locker rooms and/or family changing rooms.
- What can a supervising adult expect when accompanying their beginner swimmer in the pool?
For beginner swimmers who cannot swim 25 yards unsupported, a supervising adult must be in the water. The supervising adult will lead the swimmer through skills as directed by the swim instructor on deck. A supervising adult should come prepared to be in the water at the first lesson. At that time the instructor will determine if the supervising adult needs to be in the water with the participant.
- How many parents or guardians are allowed on the pool deck?
To limit our building capacity, we are limiting the number of observers on the deck to one parent or guardian per youth swim lesson student. Additional children/family members are not permitted on deck.